Friday, October 22, 2010

Our 4th try is in full effect! I got shot up on Monday, the 18th which also happened to be my wife's birthday. I'm hoping she gets the ultimate gift. Our RE closed down his practice and joined one of these centers. And this center does not treat same sex couples. So you can imagine how thrilled we were by all of this but we have no choice really, they had 4 vials of our baby juice. We were assured that we would only see our Dr so that made us feel better. Until it happened....we had to go in last Saturday and our Dr was not on call! This was our first cycle using clomid and the directions that my Dr gave me stated to take it days 3-7, start testing on day 11and if no surge in 6 days to call them for an ultrasound and possible trigger shot. Easy enough it seemed, so I called. This bitch nurse told me that you can't detect ovulation by doing an ultrasound and basically discounted everything my Dr had told me. She told me that "our" doctors don't do it like my Dr and she didn't understand why I was calling. I kept telling her the instructions that I had and she finally told me to just come in and take a blood test to check my progesterone. I was so pissed by this point and my wife had to talk me down. Thank god she is the calm one. So we get there and as we're checking in I see this lady that I think is the one I talked to on the phone. I ask her, was it you I was speaking to earlier, and she looks at me this demeaning look and tone and says "I didn't talk to you today" so I ask the receptionist to please give the instructions to whoever it was that I spoke to. The same rude lady grabs the paper and says oh it was me you spoke to. I tell her I was just going by the paper I was given and she just snatches it and walks away. As we sit down in the lobby I'm fuming. I look around at all these couples sitting there. Even when you sign in it states husband and wife so not only do you have to be straight but you have to be married. I'm hating this place more and more by the minute. A lady comes out and calls us back, she was very nice, and took my blood. She told me that they can tell by a blood test whether I ovulated or not based on my progesterone levels. I usually O on day 13 or 14 and this is now day 16 so we're thinking we missed it. We then go back and sit in the office and I feel a little better about the place because of the nice blood lady and receptionist. So then guess who calls us back...the BITCH. She brings us in the room and tells us that they are going to do an ultrasound to check if I ovulated so I ask her why she told me on the phone they can't do that. She doesn't even look at me and keeps talking to my wife. She then says that if it looks like I haven't ovulated they will do a blood test. I tell her they already took my blood and gesture towards my arm and again she gets that snotty tone and asked why did they take your blood as rude and condescending as she could. She looks back at my wife, tells her to take her pants off and get on the table, and tells her that her husband can sit there and points to a chair in the corner as she walks out. My wife and I look at each other and realize that the bitch doesn't even know I'm a girl. Now I'm butch, but I still look like a girl. I was talkinig to the bitch the whole time, saying "me". I guess she thought I was some overbearing husband. Again my sweet wife talks me down as I start damning my Dr for joining this god forsaken practice. We assumed she would figure it out when I was the one on the table with no pants on when she returned. She came back in, did a double take and went about the ultrasound. She was actually very nice after that and she told me that I have not ovulated, had a 17mm folicle, and a nice lining. She told me to keep testing and call back when it was positive. She also called me later that afternoon to confirm that my blood test showed I had not ovulated.

I got a positive the very next morning at 8am and a postive at 8pm. I tested Monday morning at 8am and it was negative so I hope I ovulated sometime overnight. I had my IUI done at 11am Monday. My Dr was very nice and apologetic about the whole thing when I told her what happened. I told her she could make it up to me by knocking me up. So here we are a couple of days later hoping that it works this time. I really hope it works so I don't ever have to go back there again, at least until we try for #2. If this try takes, we'll still have 3 vials at that horrible place. The only perk is that the IUI is cheaper at the new place then it was at the old place. They charge a fortune for storage though....$700 a year. So if this does take we'll owe them money to hold onto our other 3 vials. I just hope this works and soon. I'm ready to get on with this pregnancy thing so we can get our baby.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh. That all sounds horrible. I'm so sorry that you had to deal with that woman and that she never figured out that bedside manner is an important part of being in healthcare. But I'm really glad that the insem went well and that you at least got to see your real doctor for that part. Here's hoping you have to pay the storage fees and that by the time you go back for baby #2 that nurse is long gone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nightmare! I know you were pissed but god, I think I would have LOST it. Glad it all went well in the end and definitely hoping this is the one!

    ReplyDelete